Over 400 athletes competed recently at the Diocesan Primary Athletics Carnival at Hunter Sports Centre, Glendale. With The Commonwealth games to inspire them, many students achieves some fantastic results on the day.
Madison Trembath from St Patrick’s Primary School, Swansea had an incredible 200m run, breaking a record that has stood since 2005 – 28:39s.
Eli Unicomb was reaching for the stars when he jumped 1:21m in the junior high jump to take out a record, with two more high jump records being broken both in the 11yrs category; Emily Scanes from St Aloysius Primary School, Chisolm jumped 1:33m and Jake Hedges from St Joseph’s Primary School, Lochinvar jumped 1:32m.
It was only the 3rd Diocesan carnival where the 1500m was run so records were chased in this event with Maeva Clifford from St Paul’s Primary School, Gateshead breaking the junior girls record with a time of 5:49:29.
A strong team will represent the Diocese of Maitland-Newcastle at Polding, which will be hosted by our Diocese at Hunter Sports Centre, Glendale this Friday.
For a full view of results please go to:
The Diocesan Secondary Athletics Carnival was a great success with over 700 athletes from our twelve high schools competing.
Poppy Doran from St Pius X High School, Adamstown broke a record that has stood in our Diocese since Australia hosted the Olympics! Poppy flew through the 16yrs 400m in a time of 1:01:39. Dixie Conlon from Catherine McCauley, Medowie broke the junior girl's triple jump record with a jump of 10.80m.
Students consistently performed, qualifying for three or more events at the NSWCCC championships in September.
- Broc Agnew – Mayfield (U12s long, 100m & 200m)
- Zane Edwards – Chisolm (13yrs 200,400m,100)
- Wil Southcombe – Aberdeen (17 yrs high, Javelin, 800m, 200m)
- Caoimhe Bray – Aberdeen (13 yrs Javelin, 1500m shot put)
- Tyla Brown – Aberdeen (17yrs 100m, 200m, shot put)
- Poppy Doran – Adamstown (16yrs 200m, 100m & 400m)
- Dixie Conlon – Medowie (14 yrs 200, 100m, Long Jump & Triple Jump)
- Phoebe Doran – Adamstown (15 yrs 1500m, 200m, 800m, 400m)
- Lily Sutton – Chisolm (13 yrs 1500, 800, 400m, High Jump).
For a full list of results go to:
For anyone wanting to follow the success of our athletics champions, Polding will be held on 9th September and NSWCCC is on 12th September. See csnsw.sport for all results.